It worked but only for a while. It looks like the commutator has worn down too much. Despite cleaning it up there was too much gap with between the mica insulators so it essentially acted as a rasp wearing down the carbon bushes which arced like crazy!! Now I could buy a new armature but … Continue reading Getting into the guts of the thing….an update.
Repairing our own tools can seem intimidating at first. Simply the idea of messing with something electrical can bring forth images of horror. But let’s face it as long as the tool isn’t plugged in nothing’s going to happen. Absolutely nothing. And the tool is already knackered so it’s not exactly like we could … Continue reading Getting into the guts of the thing
12. Develop your own plan. All in all this isn’t a set in stone in order list. I don’t know you. I’m not living your life. You and your family are unique and you need to develop your own priorities to match your individual circumstances. If I tell you to follow this list religiously … Continue reading Modern preparedness philosophy part 12
11. Build a Documentation pack. You need to put together a documentation pack for the family and put one in every vehicle. This pack should include copies of important documents such as insurances, birth certificates licences etc. with simple encryption you can also store financial details and phone numbers. But most importantly you need to … Continue reading Modern preparedness philosophy part 11
What swales are, how they work and why it’s important to keep water on your property? This is a good example of how we can design to maximise the energy on our properties. Yes water is energy. Well to be more exact in this case we are using water as a metaphor for energy as … Continue reading Permaculture video episode 7
10. Have a means of self-defence. You and only you are responsible for your safety and that of those you care about. In the UK having some knowledge of martial arts is really the way to go when considering personal security. But simple things like developing situational awareness and following the mantra “don’t do … Continue reading Modern preparedness philosophy part 10
Following on from last week’s post here we go more in deep with Polyculture and its parallels with forest systems. Essentially we are planting crops together to maximise yields. We are starting to see how the science of the design and how each piece connects and see the patterns of design coming through. How does … Continue reading Permaculture video 6
9. Pragmatic preparations. Only an arrogant person thinks the worst won’t happen to them. An accident can happen to anyone at any time. At these times just dealing with an injury from a minor one to a loss of a family member is always a stressful situation. A lot of that stress can be … Continue reading Modern preparedness philosophy part 9
The week we use 7 Forest layers as an explanation of how design principles work together and how different systems interact. This pertains to the example I gave in the last post in this series a week ago.. Again I can work with various different layers and fill in that space to great productive systems. So … Continue reading episode five in our permaculture series.
8. Own land and make it produce. Most of this has been covered by the third point about growing your own food but even if it’s just our back gardens owning some land and making it produce changes our mind set from owning something that is a resource sink to something that is a resource/income … Continue reading Modern preparedness philosophy part 8